I am writing
directly to my fellow grassroots transparency warriors individually for
the Advocate's Corner reboot column. You and I, the little guys who read
the missives and listserv, please think of your awesome self as the tip of the
spear of a mighty Coalition.
Despite, or perhaps because
of, the laments of the news media and the Washington Coalition for Open
Government about the state of open government in Washington, legislators took
little action this session to change the Public Records Act (PRA) or Open Public
Meetings Act (OPMA).
. . .
AWC also worked with Rep. Joe
Schmick (R–Colfax) on a bill, HB
2307, to try to reduce the impact of vexatious public records
litigation by creating a fast internal appeal process and giving judges more
discretion over what they consider when making penalty decisions. But the bill
failed to move out of committee due to overwhelming and unrelenting opposition
from the news media and the Washington Coalition for Open Government. We do
appreciate the many city officials who provided input on the proposal.
We hope to
continue to collect the data that shows the negative impact vexatious
litigation has on cities’ ability to respond to other requests. It is
unfortunate when some individuals monopolize and abuse the PRA to the detriment
of everyone else.
I share
this, and I wanted you to read this truth last year, but here we are, needing
this truth even more in the humid summer of 2024. You and I
members are the first line of defense, with the last line being lawyers and
the penultimate line being legislators. If you accept this ground truth,
you will succeed in the Coalition for Open Government and the cause of
furthering open government.
Not every
Coalition member or award winner has to change the history of nation-states or
this state. Advocating for open government in your own community is
a good start.
So when you
see something is wrong, speak up. Write a letter to the editor.
Write your elected officials. Use oral public comment if you must.
I also
encourage you to, if you have time, start a blog or write a book to write up
news supported by public records and public meetings footage about an
institution. The legendary philosopher on democracy Timothy Snyder has
written in On Tyranny;
“It is institutions that help us to preserve decency. They need our help as well. Do not speak of “our institutions” unless you make them yours by acting on their behalf. Institutions do not protect themselves. They fall one after the other unless each is defended from the beginning. So choose an institution you care about—a court, a newspaper, a law, a labor union—and take its side.”
Furthermore,
when you see something is being done right, speak up too. Because when
there is that positive affirmation, we can perpetuate a strong open government
culture by affirmation and kindness.
There is
only so much our Board and Staff can do. Beyond a certain point, there is
just… us. Look at your membership as being one fort or ship in the here
and now. Nobody sanely asks you to be the new USS Enterprise or
Joint Base Lewis-McChord. Just help out a little where you are and apply
some scrutiny.
As Heather
“Newsbrooke” Brooke once shared with The New Statesman, “The whole
point of public officials is to serve the people. They’ve got to expect public
scrutiny.”
Applying
public scrutiny is where I started: I saw my community college's board of
trustees repeatedly retreat at ritzy restaurants while tuition was increasing.
I found this out through public records in… 2003. No typo.
I was just
one voice raging against taxpayer waste as I saw the ladder of educational
opportunities come up behind me via rising tuition. Then Initiative 884 - a
billion-dollar sales tax increase—came, and I used examples of government waste
to speak against the community college President urging the tax increase. The
voters chose my side in November 2004.
See, anybody
with a little passion and the full light of open government can do what I did.
It’s open source. We have a listserv for help, coaching, or just a second
opinion.
Ultimately,
we have to build out
the open government we seek. Or forever accept the dimming of the
lights. As we campaign for open courts, for a Public Disclosure
Commission that actually works, for truly accessible public meetings and to
retain public records – we need to campaign everywhere.
#####
Finally… I have a
survey out in the field to gauge WCOG members' interest in me
doing more to promote open government. Please fill out—it’s 100% anonymous!

Comments
Post a Comment